With forklifts and pallets prone to slip mishaps, we were recently contacted by a customer who had used our non-slip tape for forklifts to great effect.
Forklifts are an integral part of most workplaces, helping move large quantities of goods and machinery around with ease. Not only this, but most forklifts have the ability for large amounts of goods stacked on pallets to be stored in high-tiered racking. While forklifts are an invaluable part of any workplace and business, they are still prone to mishaps. With most forks on forklifts simply being bare metal, sometimes the grip on them isn’t the greatest, and as the choice of pallets are wood or plastic, the latter of which has a low energy surface, combining this with bare metal forks, with the possible addition of contaminants in the workplace, such as water or oil and grease, equates to the possibilities of a slip.
Non-Slip Tape for Forklifts
A customer of ours has recently been in touch, showing their simple application of non-slip tape onto the forks of their forklift. The application of non-slip tape to forklift forks can allow for a better grip on pallets, preventing accidents in the workplace due to moving heavy goods around the workplace.
The application of non-slip tape for forklifts is simple. By cleaning the surface with an alcohol-based cleaner and allowing the forks to dry before applying non-slip tape, you can achieve exceptional slip protection when managing pallets. We offer a wide range of abrasive tapes and non-abrasive non-slip tapes, which would be perfect for use as slip protection on forklifts, with the footplates also benefiting from a non-slip surface, as well as the forks. Heskins stock a range of non-slip tapes in various grit grades, finishes, colours, shapes and sizes. Custom tape options are also available dependent on order quantity.
What Steps Should you Take to Improve Stability and Prevent a tip over on a Forklift?
There’s many methods that can be put into practice to ensure safety when forklift trucks are in use, such as the use of forklift tape, explore more tips below:
Tips To Improve Forklift Safety
- Give clear and concise training to members of staff who will be expected to use a forklift, followed by refresher training every three years (recommended by the Healthy and Safety Commission). This also negates complacency
- Keep warehouse aisles clear so that staff using forklifts have good visibility and don’t have to manoeuvre around obstacles.
- Secure forklift loads following the guidelines set out in training with suitable straps that aren’t overly worn
- Load the forklift where possible with even loads spreading the weight across the forklift in a safe manner.
- Inspect the forklift and what you are loading, ensuring that both are fit for the task at hand.
- Apply anti-slip tape to the relevant areas of the forklift to increase the grip properties.
How Can We Prevent Forklift Accidents?
Applying anti-slip tape to the forklift fork extensions can provide additional grip on the object you are lifting. Tape can also be added to areas that the operator may stand on, such as the steps. This will help to reduce any slip and fall accidents significantly.
What are Main Causes of Injuries when using Forklifts?
- Warehouse staff being hit by forklifts
- Unbalanced, unsecured loads falling from a height
- Forklift trucks being driven off loading docks
- Workers falling from a height
These lapses in judgement, or complacent behaviour, can cause serious injury, with 22% of forklift accidents resulting in fractures, 20% bruises, contusions and 19% soreness, pain, sprains and tears, none of which sound enjoyable.
To get in touch regarding forklift tape, contact us by phone or speak to us via our Live Chat service right now. Alternatively, complete the contact us form, and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Want to Stay Up to Date?
Subscribe to future blog posts and newsletters here.